The UK’s new cyber security body
Tuesday 2nd October 2018
Following the government’s proposals outlined in the 2016-2021 National Cyber Security Strategy, published in 2016, a consultation has been opened to gain professional perspective on the proposals and how they will impact UK businesses and organisations. In response to this consultation, industry leaders from across various sectors have formed a cyber security alliance.
Aptly named the Collaborative Alliance, some of the UK’s leading bodies have joined to help shape cyber security standards within the UK, as well as educate businesses and organisations on threats and security best practice, and ultimately advise the government as policies are developed with regards to cyber related issues.
Bodies such as the Chartered Institute for Forensic Sciences, The Engineering Council and Institute of Information Security Professionals are just some of the industry experts that have joined the alliance, all of whom have agreed to work towards the following objectives:
- Aid in the development of specialist skills that adapt to the ever-changing cyber security risks
- Advise, shape and form national policy on cyber security
- Encourage and aid a ‘self-sustaining pipeline of talent’ to ensure the UK’s cyber security needs are met by qualified professionals
- Bring together the vast range of established cyber security professionals, utilising their expertise
- Work together to provide benchmarks and professional standards for the cyber security industry
The alliance comes at the perfect time as research by one of the members (ISC)2, revealed that by 2022 there will be a global shortfall of cyber security professionals, totalling 1.8 million people. Therefore, in order for industries to keep up with ever-evolving and ever-growing cyber threats something must be done quickly to ensure skilled cyber security experts are continually joining the profession.
The impact on IT contractors
For IT contractors this alliance is a significant step forward, that will ultimately increase industry awareness of these issues, thus creating more opportunities for contractors in the long run.
Are you a contractor looking for opportunities within the thriving IT sector? Contact the team at Sterling Group today to discuss the options available to you.